Sunday, June 24, 2007

Obama Does Not Get It


[Above: Democratic presidential hopeful Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill, speaks at a campaign stop in New York, Friday June 22, 2007.]

Sen. Barack Obama told a church convention Saturday that some right-wing evangelical leaders have exploited and politicized religious beliefs in an effort to sow division. "Somehow, somewhere along the way, faith stopped being used to bring us together and faith started being used to drive us apart," the Democratic presidential candidate said in a 30-minute speech before the national meeting of the United Church of Christ."Faith got hijacked, partly because of the so-called leaders of the Christian Right, all too eager to exploit what divides us," the Illinois senator said. "At every opportunity, they've told evangelical Christians that Democrats disrespect their values and dislike their church...."

I know of someone else who divided a lot of people in his time. His name was Jesus of Nazareth. Our faith is based on scripture, for faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of God. Scripture discusses pagan societies that sacrificed newborn babies to their gods. Man looks at the outer appearance, but God judges the heart. Do you know what this means, Mr. Obama? It means that I doubt God makes a distinction between helpless newborn babies being thrown into the fire and unborn babies being butchered in abominable ways. With our tax dollars, without our consent.

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing. I cannot help but speak out against this atrocity that our country has embraced. Which is more disrespectful- to push a national agenda of infanticide, or to speak truth?

There is one God, He is Holy, there is one Lord over everything. There is one king. He is Jesus, king of glory, strong and mighty. He said "In as much as you have done it to the least of these, you have done it unto me." Think about it.

Dear Jesus, I am upset this morning. It is not just abortion that condems us, but my own sin. My sin. My sin put you on the cross, yet I regard it so flippantly. I rant about societies ills, but ignore my own. Please forgive me and cleanse me. Here is my sin. Please take it from me in my weakness and help me to see clearly. Please help me, a spoiled rich man. I can do nothing on my own. Awaken your Spirit within me. I love you. Glenn

No comments: