Friday, February 9, 2007

Heroes #4

Another one of my heroes is a man I have been acquainted with for approximately 8 years. In that time I have had some disagreements with him but have also been unceasingly supported, loved and prayed for by him. That man is Father Kurt Wheeler.

Father Kurt is a man of many talents. He is an accomplished musician with guitar and plays lead rhythm guitar in the church praise team. He is an avid reader and is extremely knowledgeable in a wide variety of subjects, specializing in biblical counseling, leading many Christian counseling conferences in our local area over a number of years.

Father Kurt is an all or nothing kind of guy, in my opinion, and in this regard he is much like another man I very much admire, Keith Green. When he decides to do something, it seems to me, its 100% all the way. He has been to motorcycle racing school, pushing the limits of his bike beyond what I would consider a safe speed (that’s 35 mph, and no, I do not have blue hair.) He has at times, pushed his body to its limits as well, whether it’s with a regimented jogging schedule or free weight work out routine. I am more like the Pillsbury Dough Boy in comparison, eschewing physical work like Dobie Gillis friend, Maynard G. Krebs.

The reason I admire Father Kurt the most though, is his unswerving dedication to God and his dedication to us, at Christ the Redeemer. He seeks God on a daily basis in humility and prayer. He encourages us to follow Christ and challenges us to submit to God as a body of believers and as individuals, to be all we can be for Him. By the Holy Spirit, he shares spiritual insights with us in a discernable way, through proverbs, stories and personal accounts. He is quite transparent with us when it comes to his own shortcomings and difficulties that he goes through, and this is something that is exceedingly rare in a pastor. In doing so he illustrates for us pointedly that we are all in the same boat; that we all struggle to do what is right and pleasing to God but so often have to pick ourselves up and dust ourselves off and renew our journey from there.

To put it more succinctly, he loves us. In doing so, in spite of my lack of response, he shows God’s love for us. Thanks Father Kurt. You are my hero.

G.Houtchens
Armchair coach
Amateur historian

No comments: