Monday, May 23, 2011

Messages from God


Messages from God

On my way from Lynchburg, Virginia to Newport News in the very early morning hours, I was greeted by an awesome sight. I had been fretting and concerned that I would become lost with the lack of road signs and difficulty finding my way in the dark. As I drove out onto the two lane highway that ventured deep into the hills, my window was cranked down and the cool wind blew past my face and through the interior of the vehicle. I turned to my left and happened to look up, and saw a scene very similar to the image pictured above.

The sky itself was a much deeper, richly hued violet. The moon was out and some sparse clouds drifted as blackened silhouettes. Only one star was visible in the entire sky- it shone down brightly from above. I was completely awestruck by the beauty of this scene.

I was reminded that we have hope. “For unto us is born a child in the city of David a Savior which is Christ our Lord.”

Your birth, O Christ our God,

dawned the light of knowledge upon the earth.
For by Your birth those who adored stars

were taught by a star
to worship You, the Sun of Justice,
and to know You, Orient from on High.
O Lord, glory to You.

-from Hymns of the Feast, Greek Orthodox Church

I was also reminded of how God watches over all of us. Who am I that God should ever think about me- but He does. And He thinks about you, too… about all of us. He desires us to be close to Him. The thing is, we spend most of our lives leading our own paths, and walking in our own self-directed ways. His response towards us, even when we completely mess up is love.

God took a moment in time on that trip in the wee morning hours, and He shared with me a fragment of the glory of His creation that left me awestruck. The illustration I chose does not really do it credit, because it does not begin to compare.

God is waiting, ever patient. Heaven is watching, like an endless cloud of witnesses. Draw us close to You, Lord. Thank You for Your love.

Amen

Glenn

No comments: