Saturday, March 19, 2011

Passion and Devotion


A picture can be worth a thousand words. In this case, I have taken pictures of my precious ones, Snoopy and Mikey, which speak, well, volumes, at least to me. They also speak another lesson to me, as well.

You see, our pets, dogs particularly, have had their puppy-like emotions and behaviors bred into them. It’s what makes them different from their wolf ancestors they descended from. Right now there is a continuing project in Russia to breed in these same characteristics into foxes that has been continuing for 40 or 50 years, and some have been reasonably domesticated enough to live with humans. Their fear response to humans has been selectively bred out, making them more childlike and trusting.

Dogs have their own limited language. Their posture, their tails, the sounds they make; even just a look with the ears up all convey *meaning.* Check out the bottom half of the picture. Snoopy is talking to me, bellowing from his entire body in my direction. He is focused on me, crying out, and if an interpretation could be suggested, it might be “Daddy! Daddy! Daddy!” Would that our prayers to God be filled with such desire, energy and focus. Matthew 19:14 says, “But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven.” Matthew 18:3 “Truly, I say to you, if you do not have a change of heart and become like little children, you will not go into the kingdom of heaven.” Mark 10:15 “I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it."

Then look at little Mikey, bless her. She’s smiling, ears up, mouth open in a gesture of play. The tail I am sure was going. Such innocence in thought and joy in the moment. I learned a saying from Pastor Alex that goes like this: “Be careful little eyes what you see, be careful little ears what you hear, be careful little feet where you go.” In order to change and transform our minds and thoughts, we should be immersed in God’s word daily, for faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God.

Then check out the top picture. What a beautiful moment! Snoopy and Mikey would just follow me around the house in those days, watching me, ready to respond to my slightest initiative to interact. Such devotion. Their attention and concentration would magnify should I happen to be carrying food or a treat for them. But guess what? God has snackaliscious, way-cool “treats” for you, for your life, that make the scraps I fed to the dogs seem like cold porridge in comparison. He is waiting for us to drop the things of the world which we so stubbornly hold on to so that we may receive, with open hands. 1 Corinthians 2:9 But, as it is written, “What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, what God has prepared for those who love him.”

So God continues to bless me through my wonderful guys, even though they are gone. What an awesome, incredible, beautiful gift. But there is another greater gift we all need to receive- God’s son, Jesus. He came, that we might have life and have it more abundantly. He died, willingly, for the sins of the world; what we do with that, ultimately, is up to us.

G.Houtchens

No comments: