Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Gamers are Lamers


That's a phrase that I learned from a freind of mine that I used to play AD&D with, a nice guy by the name of Mark. I played Everquest for a few years in the early to mid 90's, and it can be very addicting. [Inset- screenshot from the website of my old guild, Triad Continuum] I happened to find a video that illustrates the idea of something quite common with online role playing games called "guild drama," when freindships forged in the game are strained over differing goals or new alliances. For example, players typically fall into one of two camps: those who play for social reasons and those who are powergamers. The socialites like to hang out with freinds whereas the powergamers are driven to accumulate levels (power) and wealth in the form of high end items. Thus, a natural schism occurs after a certain amount of time that causes guilds (groups of players banded together for a common purpose) to split up. It's an interesting sociological phenomenon.

The video is not set in Everquest, but instead in WoW, the World of Warcraft. It is purposefully over dramatic, which I find amusing, since even though overblown, it still illustrates the types of things that happen in MMORPG's (mass multiplayer online role playing games.) I personally feel that writing is a better medium than movies, since the imagination is more actively engaged. Note: This movie would be rated as PG as it contains some offensive language, but not alot more than what one would expect from Disney nowadays. Thus, I will not imbed it onto my blogsite, but will put a link if you are interested in seeing it. If you are under 16, you will need to get your parents permission. The title of the movie is Jimmy: The World of Warcraft Story. I hope you find it as amusing as I did. "I'M A CHARGIN' MY FIREBALL!" lol

Jimmy: The World of Warcraft Story

No comments: