Saturday, June 8, 2019

I Met the Captain of the Enterprise


I met the Captain of the Enterprise

I left early Friday morning, 5 am. The destination: Savannah Mega Comic Con, where Vic Mignona, actor, voice artist and driving force behind Star Trek Continues would be signing autographs.

Driving through downtown Atlanta in the rain is not an activity I would recommend. Somehow, I made it through. I stopped once for breakfast at a Chick-Fil-A just north of Macon. Yum.

As I drove, I prayed for my online pastor who was scheduled for surgery in Scotland. (He made it through the 10 hour operation and is in recovery, for which I am extremely thankful.) I tried to listen to some stuff on my cell phone but could not for the life of me figure out how to synch the cell phone with the car. Danged technology!

Also, on this car is a “bob” which locked and unlocked the doors. The ignition started with a push button. Every time I went to start the car I put my key chain up to the steering column. Dumb! No wonder so many cars get stolen. I was reminded of my age and the enablement of society every time I went to start the vehicle. “Yo, dog, let’s do some GTA 5.” 

As I arrived in Savannah before check in time at the hotel, I decided to take the advice of friends and go to lunch at the Original Crab Shack. I was amazed at the size of the seating area- half a football field, it seemed. “Do you want inside or outside seating?” the host asked me. “Inside,” I replied, “I want the air conditioning.” “All we have are fans,” he said. How quaint.

The inside area was a hodgepodge of Christmas treed outlets (where you have 5 electrical junctions attached to one via extension cables) and dried bamboo and plant fronds just waiting to be struck by lightning. The food was excellent. I chose the crab stew and some stuffed crabs. Although both had tiny pieces of shell one had to carefully search for with their tongue, they were outstanding dishes.
Outside there was a pond with small pieces of Samsonite luggage that drifted serenely about … er, pardon me, alligators. A sign encouraged visitors to feed them but not to abuse them in any way. 
Afterwards I visited the gift shop.  There, someone had decided to behead small alligators and shellac the heads for the shelf to be purchased. I asked the shop manager if these were the same gators that were kept outside and she laughed and replied no, they get them from a different source. 

I got checked in and wandered around within a couple blocks of the hotel. There were a number awesome looking restaurants, although I was still stuffed from lunch, so I just got some snacks and went back to the hotel room where I watched some TV until drifting off to sleep.

Got up at 6:30 this morning, washed and went down for the continental breakfast. After that, I crossed the street to the convention center where Savannah Mega Con was to take place. I was among the first there, and as a VIP pass holder, got to enter the con first when it opened. There were a number of brightly dressed convention goers, many decked out as anime characters. I found the table where Vic was to appear and pulled up a chair to make small talk with the convention person who was there, a very nice young lady who was most kind. 

After a while Vic showed up. He was flamboyant, enthusiastic, outgoing and personable as he set the table up. After that, he noticed a gift I had wrapped and set up against the table. “What is this?” he asked. I replied that it was a gift for him, to show my appreciation for the work he had done. When he unwrapped it (it was a hardcover copy of my novel) he said, “Did you write this?” I nodded and said yes, he complimented me and asked me about it. He then took the wrappings, wadded them up in a tight ball and threw them at a conventioneer further back in line with gutso, addressing the man by name. (I can only imagine the number of flying objects that graced the Star Trek Continues set, triggering my teacher sensibilities.)

Vic was most kind, and spoke with me for a few minutes. He had a line a mile long behind me, and yet he took time out to speak with me. I can’t help but think, had we more time, we might have many more things to discuss, such as the driving inspiration which fueled our projects and life and times at Liberty University, our mutual alma mater.

With that, he gave me a hug for my selfie. I left thinking that Vic was not just an excellent actor but a warm and generous soul, and a very kind man.  I am very grateful to have met Vic Mignogna, the Captain of the Enterprise, and this is a day I will always cherish.

Thank you, sir. The honor was mine.


2 comments:

mooseloop said...

Hey, Glenn, Yes, Being a Trekkie and retired allows you to go and see places you could only wish for when locked into a teaching schedule. Glad y ou are having a good time. Lots to do in Savannah and out at the beach on Tybee if you like the seashore. Good to see you enjoying yourself. Is the book on Amazon yet?...Best to you....Gwen Lancaster

Unknown said...

That's fantastic! Sounds like the trip was worth it. 😀