Friday, August 1, 2008

One Wish


I was thinking the other day. There was once, a long time ago, an incredible opportunity. An inconceivable opportunity. A very, very rare thing occurred. It was during King Solomon's time. King Solomon traveled to a place called Gibeon, and there was granted a wish by God in a dream. 1 Kings 3:5 At Gibeon the LORD appeared to Solomon during the night in a dream, and God said, "Ask for whatever you want me to give you."

I thought about this wish. What would I wish for, if I were given a wish? That I could be like Superman? That I could win the lottery? That I could be happy with my self image? That I could have power or fame or love? Sure, I would like to be married to my perfect soul mate- one who would complete me. To love and be loved, to know and be known.

But the more I thought about it, the more I realized something. In my heart of hearts, what I really want is to love God. That's what I really want. I want to love God. I want to be His. I want to not sin. All other things are nothing in comparison.

That's what I would wish for, if I had a wish.

G. Houtchens
armchair coach
amateur historian

No comments: